Driver's license

If you move here, you WILL need a car and of course a valid driver's license! Although there is a city bus system around town, it is not very practical or reliable. City buses run only five days a week, Monday through Friday. There are only four routes and the buses operate only from 4 a.m. to 6 p.m. More details here.


You have to carry your valid driver's license with you at all times. This can either be an Alabama driver's license, an international driver's license, a driver's license from another US state, or a foreign driver's license which can be used up to one year after moving to Alabama.


To avoid trouble, we recommend transferring your foreign license into an Alabama State license as soon as possible. Not having a state license might cause insurance companies to either not cover your vehicle at all or to list it in a "high-risk-pool" at higher rates. 


Alabama Driving Regulations: All drivers, regardless of where they received their license, must obey the driving laws of the State of Alabama while driving in Alabama. 


Foreign driver's licenses can only be transferred at the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) located at


2645 Skyland Blvd E

Tuscaloosa, AL 35405

(205) 553-0729


Hours: Monday - Friday 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM


Required paperwork:

  • foreign driver's license
  • Social Security Number
  • passport
  • visa
  • Form I-94: arrival/departure record (if applicable)
  • Lease to prove your residency
  • Credit Card or cash

It is possible to apply for a STAR ID. With STAR ID you can travel and use it to identify yourself on domestic flights. In order to receive the new STAR ID driver's license, you must prove your place of residence by bringing 2 bills or official mail with your name and address on them. In case all bills are in spouse's name, the other spouse must bring the original marriage certificate in order to know that you are together.


A vision test will be carried out and your picture will be taken at the appointment. Make sure you know your height (in feet and inches) and weight (in pounds). Costs are approximately $ 42.00. 



Out-of-state licences can be transferred at other driver's license offices in town as well. 


2501 7th St Suite 100

Tuscaloosa, AL 35401



Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM



1514 Skyland Blvd E

Tuscaloosa, AL 35405


Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM


Northport Civic Center

3500 McFarland Blvd

Northport, AL 35473



Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:25 PM


Detailed information about driving in Alabama and driver's licenses as well as other transportation systems can be found here (a website of the University of Alabama).